Sunday 9 September 2007

...and week 4...

Apologies for that wanton break in communication, it was unintentional I assure you.

Week 4: The biggest drama was enacted by two of the smallest characters. On Thursday morning, Tiki (bereaved white Maltese terrier mum), in a fit of apparent jealousy savaged one of Chips healthy pups. His temporary name (subject to any names given by the rightful owners should they have met him) was Colin. He was my favourite of that litter. We were all devastated at the ferocity and unexpectedness of the attack. Needless to say, Tiki got a punishing and Chip's litter was moved further away from Tiki to avoid any encores. Nature's harsh. It's a shame we've screwed it up like this.

The smooth working of the cars had lulled me into a false sense of security until a policeman politely reminded me on Aug 31st that my road tax for September had not been paid. A short scramble for documents later, Charles (a legend and one of the staff at FR) tootled off into town and spent two days in queues to obtain my legality of driving, while I took the minibus.

Music at church has been very good...almost easy, but not quite. My most talented musician, Clem McCreal, was asked to step down from the worship team after being caught on a drinking spree in the College of Medicine bar. Thankfully, Clem seems fully repentant and was very open about his situation - he's going to give music a rest for a few weeks until he feels his life is on a more even keel.

My other musicians have really gelled together with each other and with myself, which is a massive encouragement. Today my co-guitarist, Eddie, volunteered and played a song which told his personal testimony as part of the service. You know that feeling when you've been working at something all by yourself for what seems like a long time, and then someone steps in and helps you carry the load? Additionally, and thanks to you who prayed, I now have two violinists to add to the group, our first lead instrumentalists. They are Kirsi and Maria, mother and daughter of a family of Germano-Finns who have returned from furlough in Europe.

Their return has been sparked by the start of term in schools here. There are faces in CPC services now that are new to me but old to most of the congregation. I'm excited at the pool of prospective musical talent! Another feature of the new term is that two schools in the district have offered me jobs teaching music. Word gets around fast here, and music teachers are thin on the ground. Those musicians who do teach prefer to make a mint going private than relying on unreliable pay-packages from state or private headmasters. It's enough to make a grizzly bear cry - not only is Malawi poor in musical resources, but it is further crippled by the corruption of its own leaders. Any of you reading who can play a musical instrument well enough to teach:

1) count your blessings

2) come help me deal with the hundreds of kids and adults who have never had the chance to learn music and will jump at the chance.

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for reading, as ever, and I hope you enjoyed it and/or learnt something interesting. Feedback on a postcard to Box 1654, Blantyre, Malawi ;)

No comments: